Friday, October 30, 2009

Work in the ornithological field.

Yesterday morning, even though it was raining, I stopped by Capitol Lake in front of the WA state house to try to catch a TUNDRA SWAN that a birder had posted from the day earlier. I had no luck, but did see a good number of ducks on the lake, mostly being BUFFLEHEAD.


When I got back to the house, Devin and I began working on making bird nesting boxes. A friend of Devin's applied and was awarded a grant to create 30 bird boxes for DOWNY WOODPECKER, HAIRY WOODPECKER, and NORTHERN FLICKER. The grant pays for 90% of the work, the landowner the other 10%. Apparently the grant pays about $40 per box.


The whole nest box is made from one plank, which I cut up in the backyard yesterday afternoon. During which, Devin was putting one together, and getting all the smaller pieces cut.

This morning, I headed to the Cannon Trail in town, where I could get some good views of the Puget Sound. I saw a good diversity of birds, including good looks at the very common GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, which I had been unable to fully identify until today. After, I went to try Capitol Lake again. No TUNDRA SWAN, but there were even more of a diversity of ducks. BUFFLEHEAD, CANVASBACK, unidentifiable SCAUP, and REDHEAD were the most apparent.


When I got back, Devin and I started working again. I put together the smaller, DOWNY and HAIRY WOODPECKER boxes, which we needed 10 of, and got some of the 20 of the larger NORTHERN FLICKER boxes that we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment