Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Hallows

Friday night, Clara and Devin's neighbors came over and we played some games. We tried Fluxx, but that is way too confusing, so Apples To Apples it was.

Yesterday morning I went out to try to hit a few of the local hotspots. I went over to Millersylvania State Park. As soon as I got there, it started pouring out, so I waited a while in my car. After a bit I went for a short hike and found nothing too interesting, other than the observation that GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS are way more common on the west coast.


I then headed to Woodruff Bay, which were a nice series of trails leading to a penninsula in the Puget Sound. Among the many ducks visible were COMMON MERGANSER, BARROW'S GOLDENEYE, and SURF SCOTER.


Devin, Clara and I headed downtown Oly last night to check out the Halloweensanity, after visiting a friend of their's house to see trick-or-treaters. We only lasted a couple beers in the city, and ended up back home by way of the bus at about 11pm.


This morning I stopped at Capitol Lake, which had at least 3 times as many ducks as compared to my presious visits. This time the SCAUP were closer, and I was able to deduce a LESSER SCAUP out of them. After this, I checked out Preist Point Park, which was a pretty nice spot on the east side of the bay. Then I cruised up the west side of the bay on my way home, looking for waterfowl.


This afternoon, Devin and I continued birdhouse work. The right side of the smaller houses needed to be hinged by just putting a screw in each side. We also made screw and wire latches on the bottoms of these so that they could be fastened shut. The idea is to have houses that can be cleaned and maintained in the field without the use of any tools. The only things left to do are put the holes in them, and get roofs on the large ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment