Monday, October 5, 2009

I have seen the elephant...

I let myself into my hosts' home in Elko, finding evidence of Mormonism all over the place. When David and Devin got home, they were bearded, dirty from camping, and carrying a jug of whiskey. They are both AmeriCorps historical education volunteers in the Great Basin. It turns out they just moved into this apartment that was previously occupied by missionaries, and the bagatelles were left for irony's sake.


This morning, David gave me a tour of the facility that he works at, the soon to be opened California Trail Interpretive Center, which has undergone a huge push from Senator Harry Reid.

I left Elko at about 8 and took the 4 hour drive to Fallon to chec out the Stillwater National Wildlife Refuge. Many of the species here were similar to what I had experienced in Utah, but I did come across a few new ones. A SAGE SPARROW made himself known, on top of sage no less. I also saw the giraffe known as CLARK'S GREBE in one of the wetlands. On my way out, a HORNED LARK walked across the road (sorry Eva).


An hour dive to Reno brought me to the Oxbow Nature Study Area, which had great riparian habitat. While my search for AMERICAN DIPPER here came up short, I did see a COMMON MERGANSER swimming upstream.

Now I am at my host Tyler's house listening to some music. We just made burritos that were delicous.

No comments:

Post a Comment