Monday, October 26, 2009

Northern West

On Thursday morning, Rupp and I headed to the Lower Table Rock, which is a pair of peculiar mesa-type outcroppings in southern Oregon. We took her dog Chiparre, even though I don't think we were supposed to.


She had ot head to class in the afternoon, so I got my stuff together, and headed out at about 4:30. I stopped in Corvallis on my way to Portland and had a beer with Florida's own Joe "The Barnacle" Cannon at a local brewery. I got to Portland just in time to pick up Ms. Rosana Portillo at the airport at about midnight.


The next morning, Rosana and I checked out the Cup and Saucer restaurant, and Hawthorne in general. It was pretty gross weather, so we took in Where the Wild Things Are. After the movie, we headed to the coast, and camped at Cape Lookout State Park, and the weather had cleared up for us. Saturday morning, we cruised up the coast, looking for birds and beauty, and found a little of both. I did manage to get a new bird for my list, a female HOODED MERGANSER, and we did get to take in the eerie Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach. We also gandered this marvelous fall at Munson Creek Falls State Park.


In the evening of Saturday, Rosana and I made it out to the Green Dragon, which had excellent beers, and shuffleboard. Then we checked out a McMenamin's, which had very cheap microbrew and veggie burgers. Sunday during the day, I had to let Rosana leave unfortunately, and she caught a long flight back to Florida that got her in this morning right before her school started.


I started my trek north and stopped at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, which someone had posted a SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER at. I didn't come across any shorebird habitat in either of the units of this refuge. I did see a huge number of both SANDHILL CRANES and beavers!

In the evening I got to Olympia to my new temporary home at Devin and Clara's house. We chatted for awhile, and since the weather looked bad for today, and neither of them had Monday work, we checked out a couple bars downtown, and they too had shuffleboard.

Today has been a lazy rainy day, but I did manage to move in and make some birding plans for the next couple of days. Stay tuned... I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment