Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Come As You Are

Last night, I went over to where Clara was staying, at her friend who had just given birth's house. Clara was supposed to have been there for the birth, but it happened super-early on Monday (2am-5am) and Clara missed the call. Regardless, she was to be over there for 24 hours to help her with anything she needed. We watched Year One, which was as horrendous a movie as it looks.


This morning I shoved off to Hoquiam, by way of Kurt Cobain's hometown of Aberdeen. I was in search of a few birds that had the "Patagonia rest area effect" going on. That's when a rare bird is spotted and reported, good birders show up to see it, and subsequently more good birds are reported. This was a trilogy of local rarities that included ORCHARD ORIOLE, CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, and CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR.

When I first got to the wastewater treatment facility these were reported at, I didn't see any birders, so I too the time to tease out a MEW GULL from the close by feeding gulls. I then noticed some binoculized people, so I herded up with them. They were in the spot that the first two birds I mentioned were recently seen. Within 5 minutes, the CLAY-COLORED SPARROW appeared.


Since I have seen an ORCHARD ORIOLE before, I got the directions of a short walk down the road, where some birders had already rediscovered the CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR, which was partially in breeding plumage. I got some excellent looks of it. I also talked to a local birder a bit about some other spots where rarities had been seen recently. He gave me directions to Tokeland, which was about a half-hour drive away.


When I got to the Tokeland docks, I found the pack of roughly 100 MARBLED GODWIT and WILLET that I was looking for, but was unable to track down the stray BAR-TAILED GODWIT that had been seen about 3 days ago. On the drive back, I stopped at Grayland Beach and Bottle Beach, with no spectacular sitings.

2 comments:

  1. jerry & i stayed in that motel! i believed i picked it exclusively based on the sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty weird.

    Was that the time period where Jerry played in his Nirvana cover band "All Apologies" at the 12th Annual Aberdeen Concert for Kurt?

    ReplyDelete