Saturday, October 3, 2009

Antelope Island: Take 3

Since many of Bill's teammates were out of town, I was asked to fill in and play last night. It was a double-header, one hour each. My hitting was pretty good, I went 5/7 on the night. My 2nd base playing was horrendous, with a .250 fielding percentage! Regardless, we won both games so Bill's team starts the playoffs on Monday. Now I'm sore.

This morning, Bill's other birder friend, Jeff Bilsky, picked me up, and we headed to Farmington Bay. This was a nice little shorebird hab that had a good deal of LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, and we also teased out two STILT SANDPIPER.


Next, we headed to Antelope Island again, in search of LONG-EARED OWL and CHUKAR, neither of which we found. We did come accross a SAGE THRASHER on top of one of the many rocky outcroppings. On the way to the ranch, we stopped at a small patch of forest along a marsh, where we were able to call in two VIRGINIA RAIL with Jeff's MP3 player. We also saw two porcupines in a tree. This one seemed dead, but I'm not sure. I was surprised how sloth-looking they are.


At the Garr Ranch, we saw many of the western warblers again (MACGILLIVARY'S, WILSON'S, YELLOW-RUMPED), and great looks at a lifer WARBLING VIREO. We got back around 3:30, and I've just cleaned up and am getting ready for my last night in SLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment