Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Did I get all of the birds?

Yesterday had incredible storms on the California coast. Winds were over 20 mph and there was constant rain. Needless to say, I used yesterday as an administration day, and didn't bird at all. Last night, Kevin made some pasta, and we watched the second in that National Parks documentary that was recently on PBS.


This morning I said goodbye to Kevin and Kelly, and birded the East Bay. My first stop was Sobrante Ridge, which was decently birdy with BUSHTIT, BROWN-BACKED CHICKADEE, OAK TITMOUSE, and lots of WESTERN SCRUB and STELLAR'S JAYS. I also got great looks at a CALIFORNIA THRASHER.


Next I went to Big Break, which is a new shorline park. According to Kevin, there have been WHITE-TAILED KITE there, but I didn't see them. I then headed to the Dow Industrail Wetland Preserve, which was kind of weird. I'm not sure that it's a wetland as much as a pond. I thought I saw a NUTALL'S WOODPECKER and a GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE which would be a bit out of range, but I could't confirm with myself either of them.


I tried to go to the Antioch Dunes National Wildlife Refuge, but it is closed, only opening for docent led walks once a month. I got my oil changed and decided to make my way to Sacramento. I stopped in town at Southside Park to look for the YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE, but no luck. Out of 52 species today, only that one thrasher was new for my list. I think I've beginning to hit a standstill with my coastal CA novelties.

Now I'm at Pangaea Cafe' enjoying a snack before heading to my couchsurfing hosts house here in Sacramento.

No comments:

Post a Comment