Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Going back to Oly

Last night at Zoie's intentional community in Bellingham, I ended up getting to sleep in the healing room, which had apothecary medicines and instruments. For some reason there was a futon open in there, even though most of the household slept on the floor.

This morning I left at about 9am and drove to Montlake in Seattle. There is a botanical park managed by UW, with a decent amount of property, right behind the football stadium. There were a good number of ducks here, but a birder I had talked to there said that the NORTHERN SHRIKE I was looking for had not been seen in over a week.


After a hearty lunch at a vegan Thai place in the University District, I drove over to Redmond to see the infamous Marymoor Park. The part I was interested in of this enormous place was the Eastside Audubon Bird Loop. Coincidentally, this was right at the leash-free dogpark, which was ind of annoying. Before starting my hike, I checked the windmill for BARN OWLS, which nest and roost there, but had no luck. On the rainy hike, there was not too much bird activity, and after about one and a half hours, I headed back to the car. In a tree visible from the car was the perched bird I had been looking for, the NORTHERN SHRIKE. Within 30 seconds, he flew off and I could not relocate him again. Since I was lucky with the shrike, I tried the windmill another time, but had the same results.

I arrived in Olympia at about 4:30. It was nice to get a shower and unpack a bit after my few day journey northward.

No comments:

Post a Comment