Thursday, November 5, 2009

Installation

I got back to LeSage, my hosts in the Olympic peninsula's house on Lake Crescent, Tuesday night at about 6pm. The place was empty, unlike the night before. Will had said they were working until 6, and they might end up staying at the office. They did, so I had the huge house to myself.

The next morning I woke up and headed out at about 9. I drove the western part of the peninsula, which went through the Twilight-famous town of Forks, as well as Ruby Beach.


I decided to head down to Tokeland to give another try at seeing the BAR-TAILED GODWIT. It was high tide, and a group about double the size of MARBLED GODWIT I had seen before were on the docks. This time, it included WILLET and DOWITCHER. There were two birds that were lighter, that looked like they could have been good candidates for the rarity, but nothing else checked out. I spent well over an hour scanning these birds for the BAR-TAILED, but once again, could not find it.

Last night, Clara made a pizza, which Devin, their roommate Dave, and I enjoyed. I also tried another of Clara's homebrews.


This morning, Devin and I continued on the birdhouses. To finish the job, we just had to put roofs and hinges on the large ones, and change all of the smaller's hinge screws out for galvanized ones. We finished at about noon, and Devin headed out to try to get aluminum nails for us to hang them with (aluminum is lighter than steel, so when loggers come in send the trees to a sawmill, it won't break their blades).


At about 2, we met up with the grantwriter for this project, Kurt, at the landowner's house. He explained the larger restoration project that was taking place on the landowner's 80 acres that had been sold by Weyerhaeuser 10 or so years back. The land was mostly Alders now, but the Doug-Firs and Grand-Firs would soon take over when given the opportunity. It was mostly these trees, and some Big-leaf Maples that we posted the birdhouses to, while it was raining on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment