Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ocean Shores

Last night we played some Bananagrams, and I was in bed by 10:30pm. It looked like it was going to be a rainy and windy day today, so I planned to check out the coast at Ocean Shores. Either I would get some birding in or see some intense waves.


It turned out to be birding. It didn't rain while I was there, but there were intense winds. On the way out to this coastline, about 70 miles away, I was entrapped for speeding in an area called Central Park that the limit went unnecessarily low. 68 in a 50, $93 ticket.


I went to check out the jetty on the south end of the peninsula, but it was cut off during high tide. I was trying to see if I could get looks at BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE which had been reported off the coast. I did see a number of RED PHALAROPE flocks scanning the shore.


At Chance a la Mer State Park, I drove onto the beach for a vantage point. Gulls were being fed by a man while I was here. After not seeing to much action over the water, I IDed the gulls that were around my car, which included what turned out to be a number of THAYER'S GULL, as well as MEW GULL, CALIFORNIA GULL, and RING-BILLED GULL. While scanning, I came across a solo BRANT, and HEERMAN'S GULL cruising the shoreline. A television weatherman van parked right in front of me to do a live broadcast. The star apologized for blocking my view, but said they'd be done in a half-hour. I decided it was time to leave.

1 comment:

  1. The gull pictured is a GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL that was near my car today, not one of the others stated.

    ReplyDelete