Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations

Sunday morning Eric and I got up around 5am, got ready, and headed to his (and now my) place of employment at the Ryan Center at the University of Rhode Island. This is the arena that hosts the school's basketball games and other events for students. Eric does the facilities/lighting/etc/maintainence/random/sound/miscellany for the center. I do even more miscellany. My work for the day was from 6-12:30, and included mopping the court, vacuuming, washing windows, and other general looking around to make sure things looked good for the men's basketball team's game again Temple that night. URI lost, in overtime.

After work, I headed back to the Sachuest Point NWR to see if any alcids were around. There were not, but a ton of ducks again. The lighting was very good, and allowed me my first authoritative look of the year at a GREATER SCAUP.

Eric and I had yesterday off, so he took me around to try to twitch some birds out. First on the list were a pair of TUNDRA SWAN in Coventry, RI that had been seen for over a week in a pond behind a restaurant. They were there, but a little far away for amazing inspection, however the field marks were clear. We then went to Apponaug Cove in Warwick, where over the past two weeks, both a GLAUCOUS and ICELAND GULL had been seen. We traveled around the cove, scanning a ton of gulls, but were not able to pull either of these species out.

This morning, Eric and I went to work at about 9am. Eric dropped me off, as he was not planning to start work until about noon. I engaged in miscellany again, including getting metaphorically lost, and left at about 12:30. I went to Trustom Pond NWR after work, and sat at the visitor's center feeder. Every day for the past 4 days, they have seen a RUSTY BLACKBIRD here. It took about a half-hour, but the male finally did made an appearance. I then went down the road to look for ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK in a reliable place for them near Moonstone Beach, but was unsuccessful.

At about 3pm, I drove to Ashaway, RI to try to look at a pair of swans that someone had claimed were a dead-ringer for TRUMPETER SWAN. I drove all around the location they posted seeing them from yesterday, but no swans were present. I then headed back to Eric's house in Newport, and am gearing for another small workday tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment