Wednesday, January 6, 2010

3A

I borrowed Dick's truck on Monday morning and headed to the Worcester reservoir and airport to look for recently seen SNOW BUNTING, but I had no luck. Dick drove me to the train station, which due to my misremembering the schedule, I almost missed. I went to Boston, then took the Greenbush line for the first time, to head to Weymouth. Kim picked me up there and we had some dinner at the Union Brewhouse. I then hit up trivia with Joe and John.


I stayed over Joe and Bonnie's, and dropped Joe of at Weymouth High for work on Tuesday morning. I borrowed his car for a day of birding the south shore. I stopped at Webb State Park, then the Hingham Shipyard, seeing some of the basic winter birds. At Nantasket Beach, I saw all three scoters, including my lifer BLACK SCOTER.


I then checked out Sandy Beach in Cohassett, and Scituate Harbor at the lighthouse. This was a very productive spot, getting me looks at LONG-TAILED DUCK and on the jetty, a juvenile PURPLE SANDPIPER. Then I trudged through the snow at the North River Audubon Sanctuary, and ran into a groundskeeper who told me about some good birds of the area. As we were talking, my first of the year WHITE-THROATED SPARROW showed up at the feeder. The groundskeeper told me about two SNOW BUNTING that had been seen at the nearby Daniel Webster Audubon Sanctuary feeders that morning. I went to check it out, but had no luck.


After a long day of birding, tallying a nice 39 species, I picked Joe up and we got a few beers. I then met up with Jerry and Alison for dinner, and spent the evening at The Shop chatting and moving some stuff around with Jerry as he was readying for a band coming in later this week.



This morning, after getting a pretty late start, Jerry needed to head to Harvard for work. I tagged along with him, and he dropped me off at Mt. Auburn Cemetery to bird. It was a pretty nice place for birders, but I could see it being more so during migration. One of the groundskeepers here saw me birding, and offered to show me a red morph EASTERN SCREECH-OWL that had been regularly out since Christmas. It was poking its head out when got there, which was nice to see. Jerry and I met up in the afternoon for some Asian fast food, and then we came to Dan Kearney's house for a game of soft basketball horse, which is where I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment