Monday, September 21, 2009

Bir(d) Day


I headed into St. Louis on Saturday, hoping to put an end to my nemesis bird in Dogtown. the last time I was there, about a year and a half ago, I was not able to see this invasive/exotic bird that happens only to be in St. Louis suburbs. This time, I had luck seeing the EURASIAN TREE SPARROW within 10 minutes of scanning the neighborhood. That night, I stayed at Kimarsh's friend Bob's house. He showed me around town, including a stop at the Shlafly Brewpub. In my mind, St. Louis is no longer a town of crappy beer.


Friday morning, I woke up to severe rain, which was not forecasted at all the night before. I decided it was birdable anyway, and boy was it ever! I headed to Powder Valley, and came across some good stuff. Immediately after getting out of my car, I saw a NASHVILLE WARBLER, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER and easily determined a LEAST FLYCATCHER. On the trails there, I encountered a red fox crossing my path. Great place.

Then I headed to Castlewood State Park, and came across a few flocks of warblers, including another NASHVILLE WARBLER. A lifer twice in one day. They must be in droves at this time of the fall. I got lost in a number of the flocks, as there were so many CEDAR WAXWINGS around. Still raining, I decided to make the long haul for Lake of the Ozarks State Park. I camped there, enjoying the provisions that anyone would need on their birthday eve: canned beans, bread, whiskey and Diet Coke, cloves, and a book by Kingsolver about eating locally.

This morning I woke up and birded the campground. Not too much was happening, but I did see a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, new for my list. I headed out at about 9:30. A couple hours into my drive, I was coming across prairie conservation areas, and decided to stop into one: Paint Brush C.A. I didn't come across any groundbirds, but did get a lifer HENSLOW'S SPARROW. Thanks Kimarsh, for deeding it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment