Monday, September 28, 2009

"At Altitude"


Friday night, I had good beer with dinner, a Blue Paddle Pilsener. I was pretty dehydrated, and I got a headache. It got worse, to the point that I went to bed at about 7:30. Luckily I woke up about 11 hours later, and felt great. Saturday morning, I left Boulder, after a typically awesome breakfast with the Chase-Jacobsens. When leaving town I stopped at Lookout Mountain. While it wasn't too birdy, I did come accross a lifer PYGMY NUTHATCH cleaning out a hole for himself in a pine.


After another hour or so of driving, I diverted from I-70, and went out on Loveland Pass. This place was incredibly beautiful. I attempted to find a WHITE-TAILED PTARMIGAN and BROWN-CAPPED ROSY-FINCH on a mile or so hike through about 6 inches of snow, but with no luck.


I arrived in Grand Junction, which was a very different environment than where I started the day, at about 5pm. I met with Mike from couchsurfing, and we headed to the Breckenridge Brewing Co. for dinner and a few beers. I went to bed pretty early to get a good start on Sunday morning.

At about 8am, I headed to the Colorado National Monument. Immediately, I came accross tons of WHITE-THROATED SWALLOWS, roosting in the walls, and flying around the canyon. During the ~30 mile drive through the park, I saw a number of other southwestern specialties, that'll give me a headstart on some of the species that I'll be searching for in the spring. ROCK WREN, BUSHTIT, and JUNIPER TITMOUSE all presented themselves to me here.

I then drove about 5 hours to Salt Lake City and met up with Bill. We hung out at his house for a bit, then headed over to Carl and Britt's house, which is a loaner home for Carl's volunteer work with HawkWatch International. We talked birds most of the night over bean burritos, and Carl gave Bill and I some tips of where to go birding today.

We woke up at about 7 to head to Wasatch National Forest. The hike took us to a couple nice lakes, and over a pretty large peak. It wasn't all that birdy, but we repeatedly got excellent looks at a calling CLARK'S NUTCRACKER.


Exhausted, we have just come back to his house for a celebratory Pabst.

3 comments:

  1. From the looks of it there might be a couple o' nuthatches in them there beards you're sportin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just look at those two weirdo beardos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just flatly going to ask that you watch it, as well as mind Ps and Qs.

    ReplyDelete