Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Home

Saturday night, I went out to Decent Pizza in Tallahassee with ye ol' gang. After some slices, we checked out Waterworks and the Leon Pub, a few of my favorite old stomping grounds, before calling it a night.


The next morning I wasn't feeling all that well because of my cold, so I headed out of Tallahassee at about 9am, for the 8-hour trip south. The only notable experience of the drive was noting my first of the year SWALLOW-TAILED KITE over the Florida Turnpike. I got to my new home (aka Rosana's house) at about 5pm, where we had delicious pasta dinner and wine.


The last couple of days have been absorbed with job searching, but I have been able to get in some very worthwhile birding. On Monday morning, in the worst of my illness, I went to Bill Baggs State Park here in Miami in search of the LA SAGRA'S FLYCATCHER that has been seen pretty much all winter. With some locational help from Eva, I found the spot, and relocated the bird within a couple minutes. This morning, I looked for the other locally rare flycatcher at Matheson Hammocks County Park. After searching for about 25 minutes, a young local birder Alex called me over, as he had found the BROWN-CRESTED FLYCATCHER in the oak picnic area, and we were able to watch it for about 10 minutes. Two great birds in two mornings of searching!

No comments:

Post a Comment