Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mexico Nuevo

Monday morning I woke up at Luke and Michelle's house in Sierra Vista AZ with the intention of getting a number of things done to my car. As it turned out, I didn't need new brakes, and with the oil change I got my tires rotated, so I'm going to wait a bit to get new ones. Oh, and I found this little ditty that I created when blasting my car through the border refuge:


So I headed towards New Mexico, but decided to stop in Wilcox AZ, to do a little birding. There is a wildlife management area there that was teeming with SANDHILL CRANE. I wasn't able to see them, only hear them in the distance, but I did get a look at a lifer CRISSAL THRASHER, finally.


In the late afternoon, I arrived in Las Cruces NM, at my couchsurfing host Rich's house. We went out for some Mediterranean food, then a beer at the High Desert Brewery. We then hung out and chatted until pretty late (3amish).


This morning after his early class at New Mexico State, Rich and I headed out to one of his favorite local natural areas- Dripping Springs, owned by the BLM. We took a trail that was about 2 miles up the hill, then opened up to a little historic village used for housing people infected with Tuberculosis. Also, the spring was pretty active from some of the snow that had melted from the tops of the mountains.


After lunch bac at Rich's house, I made my way the 4 hours up to Albuquerque. As of now, I am working in a coffee shop in the University of New Mexico part of town, waiting for America's favorite Green Cay Naturalist to arrive at the airport. I have 2 more hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment